I used to be a work-a-holic in my life before motherhood. I worked as many as three jobs and was busy seven days a week. It made my cash flow more of a river than a stream, but despite all of that, I wasn't much of a saver.
Now I am married with a child and dreams of the future for my son. I want him to have an education, a house, a car, and the means to live his life however he see fit. Right now, PJ is only five, but his father and I work hard to set aside a little bit of money for him each month, and plan on teaching him good saving habits. Right now, those habits extend to PJ's penchant for saving loose change in his beloved piggy banks! Seriously. Don't drop spare change around PJ if you want it back. He will scoop it up in the blink of an eye, saying, "Let's put this in my piggy bank!"
As PJ gets older, we hope to give him a firm start in saving money. When he becomes a teen, it's likely that he might pick up an odd job here and there. Babysitting, mowing lawns, yard work- those are all jobs that any young teen can hold. After that, it's likely that PJ will hold down a job in the work force, at least part time, while he completes high school and college. We want him to have an easy means of saving money that will yield him some rewards.
PJ is still young, of course, but if you have a high school or college age child (ages 14-23), a Student Savings account with Boiling Springs Savings Bank is a great start in setting your child up for a lifetime of solid money management.
Though June 30th, 2015, your child will receive an interest bonus of $20.15 when he or she opens an account with the same amount ($20.15) or more. That's an opportunity to potentially double your first deposit! The account will change over to a traditional NOW account upon the account holder's 23rd birthday, but until then, young savers will also enjoy customer benefits from Boiling Springs such as
- Free online banking, 24-hour telephone banking, direct deposit and bill payment- perfect for managing those first paychecks or college bills
- No Monthly Fees- Perfect! Who has extra money to manage their money at that age?
- Minimum deposit to open an account is just $1, with interest earned on all balances
- Overdraft protection transfer service is available
- Free specialty checks or discounted custom checks
- Free transactions at Boiling Springs ATMs with ATM card or Debit MasterCard