It's not a secret that I am not exactly the Queen of Domesticity. I am more like the Queen of Just Leave the Goddamn Dishes Until Tomorrow. Keeping up with the housework is a constant struggle for me. It Just. Never. Ends!!! I have a hard time believing that doing the dishes once doesn't mean that they are done for all time.
So, I have always been messy, but I met my match in PJ. PJ can destroy a room in 12 seconds, and as the phrase goes, it's like shoveling shit against the tide to try and keep up. But being a gown up means that it's my responsibility to clean the things, lest we end up on Hoarders or on the news.
My housekeeping skills, while not perfect, have improved exponentially, but there are a few chores that I have to grit my teeth through every single time.
1. Unloading the dishwasher: I don't know why I hate this so much, but I haaaaaaaaaaate it! I will happily load the dishwasher, and I have even been known to wash dishes by hand to avoid unloading a full dishwasher. I know it's kind of a weird chore to hate, but I hate it.
2. Organizing the pantry: I am horrible with this one. I am of the type who will take out the peanut butter and then just throw it back in on any shelf. I mean, if I can shut the door, it's good, right? Our shelves have started out organized and neat, but it only takes me a day to turn it back into chaos.
3. Throwing away mail/paperwork: I don't hate this, but I'm terrible at keeping up with it. Mail piles up in the blink of an eye, and PJ's school art projects are everywhere. When I finally get tired of it, I do a mass toss of anything irrelevant. I am trying to get better at tossing the junk as it comes, and I stopped buying magazines for the same reason. This one is a work in progress.
4. Putting laundry away: It's the same as the dishwasher- I will gather dirty clothes, run the laundry, and fold it, but for some reason, I balk at putting it away. PJ's clothes and drawers are always kept perfect, but I can be lazy about putting away my own clothes.
5. Taking out the recycling: I forget this one all. the. time. I don't know why, because I never forget to take the trash out! It's just the recycling that gets past me for some reason. Thankfully, I am on top of making sure anything that goes in the bucket is rinsed/crushed/ripped so it doesn't get stinky or overflow!
It's an evolving thing, my metamorphosis into domesticity. A slowly evolving one, being that I am 37, have been married 6 years, and still don't have the hang of it. But one that is coming along nonetheless. I am hoping that by the time we buy our first home I will have mastered it, but in the meantime, does anyone want to empty my dishwasher?