I am have been trying, of late, to put aside some of my expectations and attitudes about other people and how they should or should not be living. A lot of this is based on trying to heal my marriage, but it has expanded to include healing me, and finding the part of me that I love- spending time with my friends, putting out a productive, positive energy, and being happy. Emphasis on the latter.
All of that crap sounds great, of course, and I really am working on it. Really. But Rome wasn't built in a day, and there are still a few things that humans do that make me lose my Goddamn mind.
1. Not putting seat belts on your child- oh, no. No, no, no. I will not only judge the ever-loving shit out of you if I see this, but I will also call the cops.
2. Being noisy when it's too late or you have been noisy too long? Come on. Things like dogs and babies that don't have a volume button? Not a problem. I can't get upset about an upset animal or a crying child no matter how loud or long. Some things just can't be helped. Even the occasional party or loud music? If it's not a regular thing it's not a problem. Your TV pounding through my floor every fucking night? I think you're an asshole.
3. Failing to yield to a school bus that is boarding/letting off children, particularly if the lights are flashing and the STOP sign is out and engaged. You are not only a shitty, inattentive driver, but you are also a horrible person. This one, in particular, gives me instant rage. I have been know to yell at drivers who pass the bus while PJ is boarding. They never make eye contact with the braless, crazy-haired woman, still in her jammies, yelling like a nutcase. Go figure.
4. Try not to be a Debbie Downer. There are people who have something negative to say as a response to anything. Anything. The sun is shining outside your window and yes, you can get ALL THE CANCER from sunshine. But it's okay to enjoy it a little, too. Perk up there, chipmunk.
5. Sadness one-upers also drive me nuts. This is someone who will counter one sad tale with a slightly sadder tale of their own. It's not a competition. Hard is hard, for everyone. Yes, the person who is sad because Amazon didn't send a package on time (me today, as a matter of fact) is in a better place than the person who is sad because she has cancer. But that doesn't give someone a right to invalidate another's feelings. We're not in a race to see who has the suckiest life. Stop it.
I know that all of this makes me sound like a jerk, but in the spirit of honesty (and because writing this out made me laugh) I wanted to share a few things that bug me. What bugs you? Tell me what your pet peeves are and there might be a little something in it for you!!
Linking up with Leeann for some Monday Morning Gossip! Stop by, say hi, link up!!! DO IT!!!!!